THE INDIAN MEDICAL COUNCIL ACT, 1956
(102 of 1956)
30th December, 1956
(As amended by the Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Acts, 1964, 1993 & 2001)
An act to provide for the reconstitution of the medical council of india and the maintenance of a medical register for india and for matters connected there with.
Be it enacted by Parliament in the seventh year of the Republic of India as follows:-
- SHORT TITLE, EXTENT & COMMENCEMENT
- This Act may be called the Indian Medical Council Act, 1956.
- It extends to the whole of India.
- It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires:-
- "approved institution" means a hospital, health centre or other such institution recognised by a university as an institution in which a person may undergo the training, if any, required by his course of study before the award of any medical qualification to him.
- "council" means the Medical Council of India constituted under this Act.
- ["deleted" by Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Act, 1964.]
- "Indian Medical Register" means the medical register maintained by the Council.
- "Medical Institution" means any institution, within or without India, which grants degrees, diplomas or licences in medicine.
- "medicine" means modern scientific medicine in all its branches and includes surgery and obstetrics, but does not include veterinary medicine and surgery;
- "Prescribed" means prescribed by regulations.
- "recognised medical qualification" means any of the medical qualifications included in the Schedules.
- "regulation" means a regulation made under section 33;
- "State Medical Council" means a medical council constituted under any law for the time being in force in any State regulating the registration of practitioners of medicine.
- "State Medical Register" means a register maintained under any law for the time being in force in any State regulating the registration of practitioners of medicine.
- "University" means any University in India established by law and having a medical faculty.